Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Last One Standing


Today, my son Colton broke my heart. I can't explain this but he broke it in the best way ever. Here's the story:

I found out that his gym teacher made him the Captain of one of the basketball teams. He had the priviledge of starting the "picking". Everyone reading this knows exactly what it means, right? Everyone stands in a line, shoulder to shoulder, facing the two Captains hoping not to be the 'last one standing'. I can picture all of the strong athletes standing there confidently waiting to be chosen. With all of them staring at him wide-eyed, he began with his first pick. She was about a whopping 4'8" tall or smaller. I imagine that she smiled as she hopped behind him. Next, was one of the most teased and bullied boys in the school. I'm sure he was surprised. This pattern of choosing the kids that aren't the most athletic (or even athletic at all) or the most popular(or even liked), etc. continued. He chose the kids who were always chosen last...first. His team lost. I couldn't be prouder.

Colton is VERY competitive when it comes to, well...everything! When I asked Colton why he did this, he simply smiled and said, "I thought it would be a nice thing to do".

1 Timothy 4:12
12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

1 comment:

shannoncaroland said...

he is setting an example, isn't he? Good stuff.